Monday 2 May 2011

Second Fansubbing Project "Young Black Jack" Completed

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Young Black Jack SP [Eng Subs] (Complete)

This is the complete English Subtitles for:
Young Black Jack (704x396 x264)
Raw Provider: Furransu
Based on the JP subs provided by Furransu.
English Translation: Kong of the Apes.

Comments, trivia and notes:
1. I love the sound track on this. Listen to the leit motif for the characters. The contrast for Black Jack's theme and Nagisa's theme really stood out.
2. Black Jack writes in his note book in German.
3. Originally I had translated Ten Mei as destiny, but I'd changed it to Karma. The difference being that Karma involves connections between living things, even past and future lives whereas destiny does not have such a connection.
4. I had no idea of what Tatsumi was talking about when he was harassing Yuna, Yuna had no idea either so it was a direct translation from the script.
5. I also did a direct translation when Black Jack was feeling guilty about his mother's death because it contained an inter-textual reference to Jesus bearing the cross which I thought had a much more powerful imagery than if I was to translated to: "Am I going to feel guilty all my life."
6. Takashi said that the skin was from his bum but I translated it to heart when Dr Honma said it. The actual word that Dr Honma used was Omou which means feelings but it sounded weird in English. On a physical level the skin was from Takashi's bum but metaphorically from his heart.
7. When Black Jack was talking to Takashi he said "I will never forget this feeling" the actual word he used was kimochi. Again it sounded weird in English so it became "I will never forget our friendship and your generosity". I've thought about using: loyalty, devotion and fidelity, but I don't think it was that kind of relationship between the two.
8. Yuna calls Black Jack, Mr Hazama, whereas Dr Honma called him by his first name of Tokio and her parents called him Dr. Hazama. This shows the status and distance in relationship between them and Black Jack. While it is more apparent in Japanese than in English, such things do exist in English. They all recognised him as a doctor even though he is unlicenced but Yuna calling him Mr Hazama suggests that she feels that their distance in relationship is closer than if she calls him doctor but not close enough to call him by his first name as she did with Naoki.
9. Michi means path or road. There is a physical meaning and a metaphorical meaning. Metaphorically it means a deep devotion to a career, sports, hobby, etc. but there is always an underlying philosophy involved in the activity. If you have read, "The Road Less Travel," by Robert Frost you might understand what I'm talking about.
10. Rogue is a good word to describe Black Jack. Originally, I translated "Yami Isha" (Yami meaning from the darkness, shady, illegal, etc) as unlicenced doctor then I remembered the word "rogue" but I used Rogue Doctor and unlicenced doctor depending on the situation otherwise it looses it's effect.
11. When Dr Honma speaks, sometimes I thought he was talking in French.
12. I like watching people in the background during group shots or a wide shots. At the party, during Naoki's proposal watch the extras, the parents' excitement and Black Jack's dis-interest.

I should write a fansubbing blog. Big Smile

Again the same conditions apply for the use of these subs. That is:

These subs comes with the condition that it is for private use only:
These subs are not to be uploaded onto streaming sites, and not be contained as part of a package for sale, rental or ebay.


Thank-you and Enjoy,


Kong of the Apes