Monday 2 May 2011

Comments, Notes and Trivia for Sayonara Bokutachi No Youchien

1. It seems that most translation for "Sayonara Bokutachi No Youchien" is "Goodbye to our kindergarten", however I used "Farewell instead of "Goodbye" as "Farewell" has more permanency about it. Secondly I've left out the preposition "to" because without it, it sounded more like the kids were talking directly to the kindergarten itself as kids tend to do. So my translation became: "Farewell our kindergarten" instead of "Goodbye to our kindergarten" the difference in effect is similar to the difference between direct speech and reported or indirect speech. Furthermore "Goodbye to our kindergarten is a simple clause" whereas "Farewell our kindergarten" is more like a sentence or complex clause.

2. The children's rhyme that Kan'na was singing when she was getting picked up:

 
♪~ き き きのこ き き きのこ
♪~ のこのこのこのこ あるいて
I've originally translated to: 
mu mu mushroom mu mu mushroom
calmly, calmly, calmly, calmly walking

Because it's a children's rhyme I made used of alliteration and consonance in the second line. 
To translate it without poetic devices just doesn't have the same effect.
When samshikmomo checked my translation and changed "calmly" to "slowly" I'd changed "walking 
to "strolling" so the second line became: "slowly slowly slowly slowly strolling" which sounded even 
better with the "s", "l" and "o" sounds.

3. It was quite difficult to translate the missing part by ear where Takumi was talking about pancakes 
because he was crying. I did as best as I could there then put emoticons like (T_T) where I couldn't pick 
out the words. Samshikmomo was able translate the missing part by ear.

4. I wondered why the kids repeat "we" and "our" when they were doing the graduation speech. 
I thought it might relate to gender as "Bokutachi" to my knowledge is masculine but I'm sure 
"Watashitachi" is gender neutral. If that's the case to have the title "Sayonara Bokutachi no Youchien" 
is not very inclusive of the girls. I may have to ask samshimomo.