Wednesday 4 May 2011

Fansubbing Technology

In this entry, I will discuss the technology used in doing my first two fansubs. I will specifically talk about fansubbing "Young Black Jack" as it was harder to sub due to the medical terms.

Firstly, I do my work on a 4th generation white MacBook dual booting of OSX Snow Leopard and Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat 10.10. The OS that I mainly work under these days is Ubuntu.

Let's look at some screenshots of the applications used while fansubbing "Young Black Jack." In both these screenshots, the panel on the top and both docks to the left and the bottom had "autohide" turned off. Normally, I would have "autohide" on, so I have a bit more space on the screen to work with. Screenshot 1 is on Virtual Desktop 1 and Screenshot 2 is on Virtual Desktop 2. These are like workspaces in OSX or rather workspaces in OSX is like virtual desktop on Linux as I believe that Linux had these technology before Apple. Breaking down the software used in Screenshot 1 and Screenshot 2:


Screenshot 1:
Gnome MPlayer to play the video; Gedit Text Editor where I just typed over the timed Japanese subs; and I also opened up the Japanese sub file with Mozilla Firefox. Firefox had Rikaichan plugin installed where the options of the installed dictionary from JDict is configured. By hovering the mouse over the Japanese words the entries will show up in a tool tips type box. This is not shown here as I needed to move the mouse to do the screenshots.


By clicking the second space in the virtual desktop either in the panel at the top or the dock at the bottom, my screen will spin around to screenshot 2.

Screenshot 2: Are the websites that I used. Mainly Google, Wikipedia, online English dictionary and thesaurus sites and most importantly two tabs with Jim Breen's JDic opened. One page is opened with Jpn-Eng General (EDICT) dictionary for gneral usage terms while the other is opened with the Life Sciences/Bio-Med dictionary for medical terms. The other application shown is Anki where I enter new words and phrases to study Japanese.

But soon my fansubbing process is about to change as in the panel there is an icon for Aegisub which didn't work very well under Linux the last time I tried it. This time it's a goer. And the cost of all these applications? $0.00 and legal.